CBT is a Therapy model that focus on the reducing or managing symptoms of mental health conditions. CBT belongs to the Cognitive and Behavioral schools in Psychology.
Its based on the idea that thoughts drive emotions that can drive behaviors. If the initial thoughts can be changed, it can change the entire chain. CBT aims to...
- Challenge Cognitive Distortions (eg. maladaptive thoughts, beliefs, attitudes) and behaviors
- Improve emotional regulation
- Develop coping strategies to solve current issues
CBT gives an array of methods to help overcome maladaptive thoughts.
- Identify Negative Thoughts
- Practice new skills before its actually needed
- Goal Setting
- Problem Solving
- Identify the problem
- Make list of possible solutions
- Evaluate pros and cons of all solutions
- Chose one solution
- Self Monitoring/Data collection/Diary Work - You keep a record of how you are doing in a format agreed with the therapist.