This is an aspect of Psychology which focuses on the environment as the cause for specific behaviours. Its a study and analysis of observable behaviour.
Techniques used in Therapy
- Systematic desensitization/Exposure Therapy: Treating phobias by gradually exposing people to their subject of fear while applying relaxation or coping mechanisms.
- Exposure and response prevention: Let people experience a fearful situation without applying their (often dysfunctional) coping mechanism.
- Token Economy: Giving tokens to reinforce target behaviour. Tokens can be exchanged for other things later)
- Modeling: Imitating target behaviour.
- Applied Behaviour Analysis
- Contingency Management: Rewards for target behaviour. Eg. monetary rewards for negative drug test result for substance abuse victims.