How to build Technology Strategy
How the role of CIO(Chief Information Officer) evolved over the years...
- First Wave : Automation. Eg. Reduce human error.
- Second Wave : Process Optimization Eg. Six Sigma
- Third Wave : Strategic Role
Generally, IT Depts think they are building tools for another Dept - making the other dept the customer.
- This puts the IT dept subservient to the customer dept.
- You don't think what the end user wants - you only look at what the customer dept wants.
This is a model used to create organizational strategy
- Objectives: Company or Dept's long term objectives(3-5 years)
- Define all Objectives
- Goals: SMART Goals
- Tactics: What you are doing to make sure the goals are met.
- Measures: Metric to measure the success of your tactic(instead of the goal)
- List all stakeholders - at org level
- Prioritize stakeholders
- According to Org objectives/goals
- According to pre-existing support
- For top stakeholder, find...
- What does the org want from the stakeholder
- What the stakeholder wants from the org
- What concerns are there
- Build out a User Persona
- Figure out Common factors in Org and Dept goals.
- Find the cost of ownership(more than just the development cost)
- Identify the trends in technology.
- Have a organizational Tech Prioritization Meeting