Zettelkasten Learning Method
- Huge web of knowledge
- Retrieve right memory when needed
- Find meaningful connections among topics
- Develop ideas and arguments
- Take notes when reading/viewing/etc.
- Take reference notes - when you got the info from
- Make permanent notes - when going thru the reference notes, think how they link to your research, your interest, thinking etc.
- Goal is not to make a lot of notes
- But to add value to your existing, ideas arguments or discussions.
- Find connection between what you just learned - and what you already know.
- More info = more hooks to connect new information to
- More connected info = more cues we can use to trigger the right memory
Finding Meaningful connections
- How does this idea fit into what I already know
- Can this be explained by something else
- What does this idea mean for another idea I already have
- Can I use this idea to explain another idea
Add Keywords/tags to your notes
Think which circumstances do I want to stumble on this note?
Write down ideas when you get them. Review them within a few days and convert them into permanent notes.
Review and repeat this for a while. After you have a web of knowledge, see what's missing, compare connections etc.