Mental Health Benefits of Religion
Religions help mental health due to these factors...
- Therapeutic Alliance - priest
- Organizing Framework - comes from the beliefs of the religion
- Community / Social Capital - support system
- Sublimation of Ego - "The surrender and devotion to god is more important than which god you are doing it to"
- Discipline of Mind - routines given by religion. Church once a week, prayer every day, rituals, etc.
There might be a mental health benefit to "knowing" things with certainty - Religion, a mode of knowing