Cognitive Flexibility Theory
Assumptions/Core syllogism of CFT
- Learning is creating mental models of concepts
- Learners tend to over simplify/make simplistic explanations - Training should help AVOID that.
- Simplistic explanations tend to preserve itself thru Knowledge Shields
- Ability to flexibly apply learned knowledge to cases within the same domain is advanced learning.
These assumptions lead us to these conclusions...
- A simple to complex idea introduction will not enable advanced learning.
- Advanced learning happens only if learners understand the inter-connectedness of multiple cases and concepts across multiple dimensions.