How to Empower Others 3
What Mentoring is not
- Advise giving
- Teaching or lecturing
- Counseling or therapy
- Healing/fixing others
- It takes time.
Mindsets of coaching others
Ever behavior has a positive intention
- Don't guess people's intention
- Behavior is geared towards adaptation.
Respect the other person's model of the world, even if you don't understand it.
- Made over a long time, person will hold on to it, work from it.
Accept the person, encourage changes in attitude and behavior
- Separate the person and behavior.
- There are no bad people, just unhelpful attitudes, habits and behaviors.
- Nobody is inflexible, they are just rigid thinkers
- People make the best choice that they can at that time
- People respond to their experiences, not to reality itself.
- Everyone is doing their best with the resources that they have
- All coaching must aid maturity, decisiveness and strength of character
How can you make someone feel enabled?
- No Judgement
- Authentic Listening
- Coming from a space of care
- Holding Space
- Being consistent
Stage 1. Getting a vision for life Stage 2. Knowing what they want Stage 3. Defining your future goals Stage 4. Preparing an action plan Stage 5. Review, adapt and adjust.
Problem solving Process
- What is the issue.
- Define, re-define
- Are you worried about the problem of how you feel towards of it.
- Analyze problem
- Let them come up with solution
- If there are no lack of resources, what would you do
- What are your options.
- Synthesize a solution from this list.
- Choose Solution
- Plan of action