Starves your reward system.
We indulgence in rewards. This makes is difficult to convince yourself to do things for a small or distant reward. When the reward system is starved, our motivation comes back - smaller rewards are enough.
Prevents masking of pain
When you are bored, you are not doing anything to suppress your negative emotions. You'll see the issues that have been bothering you. Generally, you don't notice these because you engage in a Negative behaviours are to avoid a negative feeling.
Writing helps in dealing with them. Prompts...
- Do I feel any discomfort? Where?
- Is it physical/emotional?
- Describe it.
- Why do I feel this way?
- What did I do to feel this?
- What can I do to fix it? What are 1-3 things I can do by tomorrow that will help.
- What would my life be like if I didn't do these fixes in the next 5 years. Assume the worst.
- What would my life be if I did the fixes and stuck to it consistently. Assume the best.