Memory Distorts Over Time
Different ways a memory can change...
- Transience: Memory decay - you remember lesser and lesser as more time passes.
- Blocking: Interference of one memory that prevents access of another. Tip of tongue issue. Eg. you can't remember the name of your teacher when you meet her outside of the school.
- Absent-mindedness: Can't remember because you didn't pay attention.
- Miss-attribution: You miss-attribute the source of the memory.
- Suggestibility: Memory change because you get new information or leading questions.
- Bias: Memory changes to fit your existing beliefs, age, mood, etc. It can change memory at encoding stage or at retrieval.
- Persistence: Intrusive and disturbing memories come into awareness often. Eg. PTSD.