Deliberate Practice - Achieve Mastery in Anything
Deliberate practice is a method of learning by doing.
Define success and Drill
- Define all aspects needed for success
- Drill each aspect
Plan, Reflect and take notes
- Plan the practice
- After each session, reflect on what worked and what didn't
- Take notes on it
- Be slow - but correct. If you go fast, you might make mistakes that might become muscle memory.
- Start slow - and gradually increase the speed.
Limit sessions to how much you can focus
- Training for a long time is useless if you can't focus on your training. Training session length should be as much as your attention span.
Maximize Practice Time
Have small scales - so that improvements are more visible
- If you are trying measure how fast you are running, measure in milliseconds rather than in seconds.
Emulate practice of idols - not their performance
Repetition Makes Perfect
Get a coach