Not Mentoring: Mentor should have a long term experience in the field. Not Teaching: You can coach in a field that you don't know.
- Thought Provoking
- Maximizes the personal and professional potential
Skills of a Coach
- Creating a Safe Space
- Creating a deeply non-judgmental space.
- Ask great questions and Listen
- Taking the Balcony View together
- Tap into your natural curiosity
- Honoring Ethics of Coaching
- Respecting privacy
- Holding power responsibility : Thin line between influencing vs manipulation.
Signal vs Noise
- Signal: Good quality information that can be action-ed
- Noise: Low quality information.
Coach should amplify the signal.
Coaching as a leadership style
- Set up time for it
- Tune into the other person
- "Be Empty", don't have per-conceived notions.
- What is your intent
- Bring it to here and now.
- What does success look like
- Define a few milestones
- SMART Goals
- Time bound
- Keep Why out of the questions.
- "What have you tried"
- "What is stopping you"
- Probe till you reach SMART goals.
- Creative playful stance
- What are the plan B,C and D
- 'Right-size' of first steps
- Inspiring outcome