Cal Newport: So Good They Can't Ignore You
"Follow your passion" - Defacto American Career Gospel
This is bad advice - this assumes...
- Everyone has a pre-existing passion
- Matching your career to your passion will get you a satisfying career.(What happens to people who's passion is Cricket?)
So how do you have a fulfilling career?
- The specifics of what you do might not be too important
- You have to build up a rare and valuable skill(get really good at it.). This makes them valuable in the market place.
- Use that to find a job that matches what you are looking for.
Snowball effect - if someone is interesting in something, more you practice it the more it becomes part of your identity and you'll be more passionate about it.