Exploratory vs Conformatary Thought
If people make judgments without needing to explain themselves to others at some point, they are more likely to use gut feelings and jump to conclusion. If people think they have to explain, they will use more reason in coming to their judgment - and be more willing to change their minds about their initial position.
- Even headed
- Looks at all points of view
People do this only if..
- Decision makers think they have to explain their stance to an audience BEFORE they form an opinion
- Audience views are unknown
- Audience is well informed and cares about accuracy.
- Looks to find evidence for your position
- One sided